With the help of a panel of experts and thought leaders from the worlds of architecture, dance and theatre we will share the inspiration behind ‘Reimagined Futures’ and explore the current legislative frameworks which guide and shape the design of performing arts buildings. We’ll then work with our online audience to identify and discuss the access needs that are often overlooked, beginning a process of consultation with historically excluded artists and audiences across the UK.
Although the majority of performing arts venues are compliant with current legislation around accessibility, there is much more work needed if our cultural spaces are to be truly open to all. Our aim is to create a benchmark that will inform and inspire new architectural, institutional and cultural approaches to the design or refurbishment of public arts buildings, looking towards a future accessible to everybody.
‘Reimagined Futures’ is a collaboration between studio three sixty and Dan Daw Creative Projects (DDCP) in association with Adjaye Associates and the Association of British Theatre Technicians.
Our panel will include Dan Daw, Adjaye Associates, Robin Townley (Association of British Theatre Technicians) and Kate Marsh (Contemporary Dancer and thought leader).
Find out more about how you can support the project.
ABTT Seminar: Re-imagined Futures – Envisaging a Universally Accessible Arts Centre
- Disability: The global picture https://humanity-inclusion.org.uk/en/action/disability-the-global-picture
- The Social Model of Disability Definition – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24KE__OCKMw
- Equality Act 2010 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents
- Building Regulations 2010 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/contents/made
- Access to and use of buildings: Approved Document M: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/access-to-and-use-of-buildings-approved-document-m
- Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004
- Statutory guidance under the Building (Scotland) Regulations: Building standards technical handbook 2020: non-domestic buildings
- Technical Standards for Places of Entertainment (also known as The Yellow book) https://www.abtt.org.uk/product/technical-standards-for-places-of-entertainment/
Studio 360: www.studiothreesixty.uk
Dan Daw Creative Projects: https://dandawcreative.com/about/
Adjaye Associates: https://www.adjaye.com/
Re-imagined Futures: www.reimagined-futures.co.uk