Job description:The Costume Deputy will assist the Head of Wardrobe in the delivery of the Costume Department’s responsibilities to Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited (DRSDT).
The Costume Deputy will be responsible to the Head of Wardrobe and will have key relationships with the Production Team members, Creative Team members, and Engage Team members. The Costume Deputy will have key external relationships with Visiting designers, suppliers, casual staff, colleagues in other theatres, incoming companies visiting DRSDT.
DRSDT aspires to the highest quality in its production values and in the delivery of all Costume services. The post holder will have a key role in achieving quality targets, maintaining standards and developing safe and environmentally aware working practices.
Job requirements & responsibilities:
- To work as an effective Costume Deputy and to contribute to the development of the Production team and wider organisation.
- To support the Head of Wardrobe in co-ordinating the delivery of DRSDT costumes and wigs to the highest possible standards, ensuring agreed quality control thresholds are attained.
- To work with the Head of Wardrobe, visiting designers and the whole production team to ensure the first-class delivery of the three artistic strand productions and other work.
- To assist the Head of Wardrobe with all making, finding, hiring, and purchasing of materials, equipment and stock for the Costume Department, as required.
- To work effectively within the Costume Department and Production team and to ensure excellent communication.
- To adhere to the organisation’s Health and Safety policies and working practices and to report Health and Safety matters as appropriate.
- To adhere to the organisation’s Sustainability policies and working practices
- To support the Head of Wardrobe in the running of the department, including some administrative responsibilities.
- To support the Head of Wardrobe in the upkeep of clean, efficient, well-organised and safe physical working environments in all areas used by Costume.
- To work alongside the Head of Wardrobe and any additional freelance staff to cut, construct, fit and finish the costumes for all three artistic strands in a timeous manner.
- To support the Head of Wardrobe in the running of the workroom during production work as required.
- Assisting in obtaining, creating and maintaining all aspects of costume items and wigs for DRSDT.
- Assisting in the making of any prop costumes, millinery, and masks, and dyeing and distressing of costumes.
- Working alongside the Head of Wardrobe during fittings, or running fittings independently, when required.
- Alter after fitting any garments that require it, whether purchased or made in-house, alongside the Head of Wardrobe and any freelance staff.
- Where required, assist on DRSDT touring shows, which would involve being away from base.
- To represent the Costume Department at meetings as and when required.
- To provide other duties providing back up and support for other teams (as workload allows).
- To represent the best interest of the Organisation at all times.
- At least 3 years of practical experience working within professional costume department or as a freelance costume maker.
- Respected costume maker
- Good working knowledge of current costume and wigs practice
- Good cutting skills
- Excellent sewing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good time management skills, ability to plan workload and effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Good collaborator
- Flexible and diplomatic
- Creative problem solver
- Interested and willing to work across a wide range of areas
- Positive attitude
- Calm under pressure
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety issues and practice within the UK performing arts industry
- Knowledge of administrative systems within production departments or teams
- Experience of mainstream UK theatre production
- IT literate
- Experience of theatre repertoire systems
- Experience of multi-site working
- Knowledge of costume for dance
Apply via dundeerep.co.uk