Deputy Head of Sound & AV at Birmingham Repertory Theatre
Application closing date: 30 Mar 2024 12:00pm
Salary: £30, 521.40 per annum
Position: Deputy Head of Sound & AV
Contract: Full Time
To apply for this post please complete the online application process on our website: https://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/get-involved/careers-and-vacancies.html
Data from your diversity monitoring form will not be shared with the recruitment panel.
*we accept other forms of submission including video and audio recordings.
The Rep is a Disability Confident Employer. If you would like to apply under this scheme please selection this option on our application portal.
The Rep supports and encourages applications from refugees seeking asylum in the United Kingdom. We will guarantee an interview to any refugee if they meet the minimum criteria for the job vacancy and has the legal right to work in the UK. If you would like to apply under this scheme please select this option on our application portal.
We want you to feel comfortable and prepared for your interview so that you are able to show case all your brilliant skills and experience. For those with access needs we are able to offer numerous adjustments including: sending out questions in advance, allowing more time for tasks or applications, re-wording questions, providing a BSL interpreter or whatever else you might need. Don’t be afraid to talk to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment for this role will remain open until a suitable candidate has been recruited. Please apply as soon as you are ready.
Interviews will be held at The Rep at a mutually agreed time.
Please read the job description carefully before starting your application to ensure that you meet all of the essential criteria and are able to provide evidence in your application to support these areas. Only relevant information will be considered when shortlisting candidates.
In line with GDPR, your application will be retained securely for 6 months before being destroyed if you are unsuccessful.
Vacancies will generally close by the deadline, however, we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if we receive a high volume of suitable applicants. We therefore advise candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible if they wish to be considered for the role. Any applications made after the deadline will not be considered.
Established in 1913, The Rep has an unparalleled history as a pioneering repertory theatre and the launch-pad for some of the most exciting talent in UK theatre both past and present. Today it is a producing powerhouse with three auditoria – The House, 816 seats; The Studio, 292 seats; The Door, 133 seats – as well as extensive on-site production facilities.
Under the Artistic and Executive leadership of Sean Foley and Rachael Thomas the theatre is in the midst of a process of significant renewal, with the vision of being a national and international centre for artistically ambitious popular theatre in all its forms: comedies, dramas, musicals, dance-theatre and family shows. Revivals, new work and commissions will play in all three theatres. Many of its productions already go on to enjoy future life through commercial transfers and national/international tours.
These are exciting times for The Rep and the city of Birmingham. The UK’s ‘second city’ has the youngest population in Europe, and is the most multicultural city in the UK. It is a city full of dynamism and energy, and currently undergoing its own renaissance as one of the fastest growing cities in the country.
Part of The Rep’s mission is to ensure that its programme is truly representative of the city it serves, and we aim to imaginatively engage with the people of Birmingham and beyond to create productions that fill our theatres with its people. In every endeavour, we promote inclusivity, diversity, and equality.
Working alongside the Head of Sound and AV, this role has responsibility for all Sound and AV requirements for Rep productions and will assume a hands-on role in the day to day running of the department. You will ensure excellent service is consistently provided to staff, freelancers, and customers and visitors to The Rep and UVB events. This role will require you to deputise for the Head of Sound and AV and ensure the efficient technical management of events and productions.
There is also a responsibility to ensure that both digital technology and sustainability are at the heart of every project.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Deputise for the Head of Sound and AV as required.
- Prepare, install, operate, program, and maintain sound and AV equipment for Birmingham Rep productions and events, visiting companies, and UVB events as required.
- Work with the Head of Sound and AV to liaise with incoming creative teams on design and requirements for Birmingham Rep productions, actively contributing the creative process as appropriate.
- Plan and manage projects as directed by the Head of Sound & AV.
- Ensure that productions maintain a continued adherence to their creator’s original design.
- Work with the Head of Sound & AV to keep the department in good shape, including maintaining technical equipment both day-to-day as required, and on a planned basis.
- Assist in running and maintaining the sound and video IT networks.
- Guide and support junior members of the Sound & AV team including apprentices and work placements.
- Work with the Creative Learning team to create opportunities for access, engagement, and learning throughout the department and organization.
- Act as an ambassador for Birmingham Rep and maintain a professional appearance and manner whenever at work, but especially when working on conferences, hires, and UVB events.
- Support accessibility for all, including assisting with audio-described, captioned and signed performances.
- Ensure excellent customer service is maintained at all times.
- Ensure the departments functions are conducted within the parameters, budgetary or otherwise, as set out by the Head of Sound and AV.
- Ensure that sustainable processes and outcomes are considered, developed, and implemented where possible.
- Carry out other technical duties or special projects as reasonably required by the Head of Sound and AV to ensure the smooth running of the Technical department.
- This role may require occasionally working away from Birmingham.
Communication and Administration
- Ensure detailed records are maintained for all equipment.
- To ensure show files and any relevant records are archived.
- Comply with The Rep’s financial policies and procedures and work with the Head of Sound and AV to maintain budgets and resources accordingly.
Health & Safety
- Work closely with the Head of Sound and AV and other Rep team members and consultants to maintain a safe working environment.
- Maintain and update records of risk assessment and maintenance, as well as maintain general record keeping.
- Ensure method statements or safe systems of work are implemented and that appropriate training has been completed.
- Be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at work and abide by the procedures set out in the Health & Safety Policy.
- Adhere to and implement the guidelines, procedures and policies of the company as detailed in the staff policies (available from the staff handbook).
- Complete all mandatory training and e-learning, and engage with ongoing professional development.
- Play a role in the life of the company and work across departments to develop a positive and engaged organisational culture including playing active and positive roles in staff forums/committee’s.
- Be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to data security, and GDPR, at work and abide by the procedures set out in the Data Protection Policy.
- All staff are expected to demonstrate an understanding of, and adherence to, our safeguarding policy, including a duty to report any issues of concern.
Any Other Duties
The duties and responsibilities set out should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. The post-holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within the organisation which are appropriate with the level of the role without changing the general character of the post.
The post-holder may also be called upon to carry out duties that would not normally be associated with the post on a temporary basis where there is a strong organisational requirement for that to happen. The post-holder would be given appropriate training and equipment to carry out any duties of this kind.
This role reports to the Head of Sound & AV and deputises in managing the Sound and AV team, including;
- Sound and AV technicians
- Casual Sound and AV staff
This structure may change from time to time based on business need but it reflects the broad areas of responsibility.
- Technical Manager
- Members of the Senior Management team
- Heads of Department across the organisation
- Staff groups, forums and trade unions as required
- UVB Team
- Providers and suppliers
- Freelance Production Staff
- Creative teams
You must have…
If you do not demonstrate that you meet all these criteria you may not be shortlisted.
- A proactive, flexible, and collaborative approach to working.
- Minimum 3 years of experience of producing new work in theatre.
- Previous experience installing, programming, operating, and supporting complex audio and video systems.
- Significant experience of the programming and operation of digital sound consoles and playback software.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of current Health & Safety guidance, practice, and practical implementation.
- Ability to work alone and to also to lead, manage, and motivate a team.
- Ability to work under pressure while managing time effectively and meeting deadlines while continuing to pay close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to and experience of working at height and in using a broad range of access equipment.
- Computer literate and practical experience of using Word, Excel (or equivalent) and AutoCAD or Vectorworks.
- Experience of liaising with creative teams and ability to interpret design concepts into an achievable outcome.
- Positive outlook and a flexible approach to working, including unsociable hours.
It’d be great if you had…
If we need to choose between candidates who meet the essential criteria, we may take these factors into account.
- Full clean driving license and experience in driving vans.
- First aid certification.
- Experience with projection mapping such as Disguise.
- IPAF certification.
Terms & Conditions
Deputy Head of Sound & AV
Period of Work
This is a permanent annualised hours contract, subject to successful completion of a probationary period of three months.
£30, 521.40 per annum
2028 hours per year (equivalent to 39 hours a week)
Some evening and weekend work will be required.
This contract attracts BECTU ‘get-out’ payments, missed breaks and meal allowances. You can read more about BECTU payments here: https://members.bectu.org.uk/advice-resources/library/2586
Any double time (hours worked on Sundays and Bank holidays) will be added to your annualisation. If, at the end of the year, your annualisation is above 2028 your additional hours will be paid out at your hourly rate.
20 days per year plus bank holidays, increasing to 25 days with service. The holiday year runs from 1 September to 31 August each year.
The notice period will be 2 months.
Location of work
Your main place of work will be The Rep in Birmingham, but you may be required to work permanently or temporarily at other locations locally.
You may be asked to work temporarily in other locations in the UK. Your role may involve some international travel.
- Contributory staff pension, 5% employee and 3% employer
- A day off for your birthday
- Free-to-use employee assistance service including 24/7 virtual GP service.
- Staff ticket discount
- Staff discount in The Rep food and drink outlets (when available)
- 25% Season Ticket discount on parking at Q-Parks
- Access to salary sacrifice schemes including Bike to Work scheme and Health Cash Plans
We actively encourage all staff to see shows as believe that being part of The Rep product enhances everyone’s experience as an employee and ambassador. To ensure everyone has a chance to attend shows every staff member is invited to attend press night for all The Rep’s own productions along with further complimentary tickets where possible as well as competitive discounts throughout the year.