Riverside Studios Background
For over 40 years Riverside Studios has been the home of an extraordinary mix of theatre, film, comedy, art, dance, music and television. A cultural hub that has attracted some of the world’s best creative talent including the likes of Samuel Beckett, David Bowie, Benjamin Zephaniah, Amy Winehouse, Yoko Ono, Allen Ginsberg, Anna Massey, Alan Bates, Tadeusz Kantor, Lenny Henry and Michael Clark to name but a few, and TV studios that brought us much loved shows including Doctor Who, Top of the Pops and TFI Friday from the past, through to Strictly: It Takes Two, Have I Got News for You and Eggheads today.
We are driven by a simple belief. We believe in the power of creativity to bring people together, unlock new possibilities and ideas and spark positive change in the world. We are for our community and for artists and audiences, people who love the new and the next. And so we will seek out bold, innovative new ways for audiences to experience the arts, and for artists to tell their stories.
Our currency is the arts and creative expression. We are clear, focused and single-minded in our mission to make the world a better place, starting with our local community. We present an artistic programme and operate an arts centre that is inclusive and accessible.
Like most arts organisations, Riverside has had to carefully navigate the world of Covid. With the support of Arts Council England, our funders and loyal audiences we are in a position to focus on re-building our business and fulfilling our charitable objective of making the arts more broadly accessible.
We’re also a relatively new team, now in a brand new building, with loads of energy, great ideas and ambition for the future of Riverside. We’re seeking to introduce new people to that team who enrich our thinking and approach, and who represent our core values of inclusivity, diversity, the pursuit of excellence and embedding high levels of creativity across all we do.
As a charity, we are committed to bringing new and inspirational cultural experiences to as many people as possible, from local community groups and schools in Hammersmith and Fulham, to London and the wider world. We are driven by a simple belief – the power of creativity to bring people together, unlock new possibilities and ideas and spark positive change in the world.
This role is a critical part of that plan – we are seeking a focused, experienced operations and technical professional with a strong feel for our audience.
The Operations Director leads the Operations Team which helps deliver the platform upon which we present our creative work and currently includes:
– Technical Manager
– Assistant Technical Manager (to be appointed)
– IT Manager
– Events and Facilities Manager
The above team is responsible for:
– Riverside Studios – maintenance and upkeep of the entirety of our newly built centre, including our theatre, studio and cinema spaces as well as the public areas, dressing rooms, production offices, tenant offices, staff offices and food and beverage areas. Critical to the success of this role will be managing our network of suppliers and contractors, ensuring that Riverside receives the highest possible levels of support and service from them. To host the weekly Operations Meeting with all staff involved in the smooth running of the building.
– Technical – to be responsible for the delivery of all technical requirements of Riverside Studios, with the Technical Manager, and the producers and companies who utilise our spaces. To oversee production management on all incoming productions, advise on staging, seating and production requirements and adopt an innovative and problem-solving approach to whatever challenges present themselves. To work with the Creative Director to realise their vision, and to oversee all exhibitions staged at Riverside, including dealing with art installers/sellers, sold art and art pickup. The incumbent in this role will, from time to time, be expected to step in to cover for the Technical Manager and Technician, and so should be able to assist visiting companies with Get-ins and Get Outs and, if needed, to be the technical operator for live shows and automated cinema.
– To ensure all PAT and LOLER testing is up-to-date and compliant, including seating units, cherry pickers and other loose machinery.
– Ongoing liaison with all Riverside tenants including Riverside TV Studios and Sam’s Riverside, the Landlord and building management company and key stakeholders, including local residents. Attend to their building-related issues, including regular meetings and feedback sessions.
– Back Office – ensure efficiency and ongoing maintenance and use of current systems and processes, including those pertaining to IT, purchase orders, staff rota and venue room booking (YesPlan) and asset management systems, to support the overall smooth running of Riverside. Make necessary recommendations for improvements or the use of innovative new products where required. Manage the implementation and roll out of these when suitable.
– Facilities – ensure the maintenance and upkeep of all facility and essential building systems, including the BMS and air-handling, fire suppression system, CCTV, intruder alarm, Gallagher door access system, lifts, the integrated lighting system and FOH and Atrium PA. Manage the necessary contractor relationships for all the above facilities as well as including cleaning, fire panel and detection systems, plant, machinery, sanitary waste, waste management, recycling, deliveries, and all other facilities regarding a modern and complex building.
– Financial Control – to be responsible for the budgeting and financial forecasting and planning for all the above areas, including operational budgets across all studio spaces. Responsibility for overseeing the payroll budget and ensuring wage budgets are adhered to. Make recommendations on capital expenditure to Senior Management Team and Board as required.
– Health and Safety – to be the primary Health and Safety Officer for Riverside, ensure all staff are adequately trained and that Riverside complies with best practice in regard to all health and safety requirements. Host the weekly H&S meetings. Manage the recording of all incident reports and ensure implementation of remedial actions as required. Ensure H&S policy is followed and updated annually. Ensure fire safety plans and equipment are implemented and maintained as required.
– Licencing – to ensure that Riverside remains compliant with all requirements of its trading licence and that all staff are aware of their duties and responsibilities in this regard.
Senior Management Team:
The Operations Director sits on the Riverside Senior Management Team and will be part of the formulation and implementation of the overall strategy for the business and shall also be responsible for preparing and presenting reports to the Riverside Trust Board.
We’re looking for someone with the following set of skills, attributes and experience:
- At least 10 years’ experience within the theatre/cinema or event production industry, preferably in a similar role.
• Experience of building and resource management, specifically in an arts, broadcast or theatre environment.
• Solutions-oriented, proactive and energetic, with a demonstrable record in the delivery of major projects on a national or international level. An extremely organised yet flexible approach to tasks and calm under pressure.
• An excellent communicator, with the ability to communicate enthusiasm and professionalism.
• A working knowledge of, and familiarity with, Health & Safety legislation and best practice.
• Demonstrable ability to both lead a team of skilled professionals and to work under your own initiative.
• Dedicated and committed with excellent focus and organisational skills, and an ability to project manage several projects simultaneously.
• Proven ability to manage complex financial streams to deliver goals within allocated budgets.
• Exceptional level of customer service and a commitment to high standards of customer care.
• Ability to multi-task and excellent organisational skills.
• A high level of self-motivation and initiative.
• Flexible approach to working hours.
• A commitment to the Riverside values of Integrity; Respect; Inclusivity and Collaboration.
Riverside Trust supports equal opportunity in employment and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, or religious or political beliefs. To avoid discriminatory practice during the recruitment of new employees, selection for interview is based entirely on job related criteria. Riverside Studios complies with Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety, Personnel and other policies at all times. Confidentiality: To keep confidential the internal workings of the Riverside Trust.
Riverside Studios encourages attendance of performances with a discretionary allocation of complementary tickets to employees.
Apply via www.riversidestudios.co.uk