We hear from a number of practitioners considering the development of the first permanent theatre in the round in the Potteries sixty-years ago, and in particular the realisation of “the New Vic” theatre in the 1980s, the first purpose-built theatre in the round in Europe, lovingly built to Stephen’s ideas by Peter Cheeseman and the architect, John Sambrook.
This seminar is the final in a series of six and will be hosted by SJC Member Bob Millington, producer of “Stephen Joseph, A Pictorial Round-Up”.
The panel consists of:
- John Sambrook – Architect of the New Theatre Vic Newcastle-under-Lyme;
- Chris Martin – Veteran actor at both the old and new “Vics” in the Potteries;
- Laura Whitehurst – Head of Creative Development – Contact Young Company Manchester (a highly commended entry in the Stephen Joseph Award 2021);
- Gráinne Flynn – who came up through CYC and is now a Trustee at Contact
- Dave Wybrow – Director of the Cockpit Theatre, Marylebone;
This seminar was followed by a Q&A session.
ABTT Seminar: Actors, Architects and Theatre Futures
Be sure to check out the work of The Cockpit who have lots of schemes to help those wishing to create theatre: https://www.thecockpit.org.uk/
If you are interested in finding out more about the SJC you can do so here: https://www.abtt.org.uk/committees/sjc/
If you would like to find out more about our recent Stephen Joseph Award you can do so here: https://www.abtt.org.uk/sja-award-2021/
Other ABTT Seminars relating Stephen Joseph:
June 2020: ABTT/SJC Seminar: Theatre Then and Now
February 2021: ABTT/SJC Seminar: An Introduction to Stephen Joseph
March 2021: ABTT/SJC Seminar: Lighting-in-the-Round
April 2021: ABTT/SJC Seminar : Directing for the Round
June 2021: ABTT/SJC Seminar: The ABTT at 60 Years