ABTT announce new “ABTT Award for Emerging Excellence” – nominations now being taken!
24 April 2020
The ABTT Awards are one of the Association’s flagship events and we are very pleased to be able to take the opportunity to acknowledge those people making a difference to our Industry! This year the ABTT will be celebrating amazing people in our industry by running our brand new 'ABTT Award for Emerging Excellence' alongside our established 'ABTT Technician of the Year Award', recognising the achievements of individuals both starting out and well-established in their backstage careers.
The ABTT ‘Award for Emerging Excellence’ was founded by ABTT Young Associate Representative, Tamykha Patterson who felt it was important
“to introduce an award for those achieving outstanding working early on into their careers.
Throughout the year there are many award ceremonies honouring the work of established creatives and technicians. As I work towards becoming a reputable professional, I meet passionate, dedicated individuals who, like me, are at the start of their careers. I asked myself why can’t our achievements be recognised and rewarded too?
With this in mind, I am very proud to introduce the ‘ABTT Award for Emerging Excellence’. I put this award idea forward to the ABTT to highlight hard working individuals in the early stages of their career and accomplishing outstanding work. I believe it is important to acknowledge, recognise and appreciate the talent that will drive our industry in the future.
I would like to thank the ABTT for all their support in introducing such a great award.”
The ABTT Council agreed that young professionals are the future of our Industry and as such we needed to “appreciate their work and celebrate their commitment to excellence!”
The ABTT ‘Award for Emerging Excellence’ is presented to anyone who from the moment of commencing to work in a backstage role for the support of live performance establishes a reputation among their vocational network for excellence in all aspects of their conduct and delivery.
The ABTT will also presenting the prestigious ‘Technician of the Year Award’. This is one of the most important accolades our Association bestows, as it recognises the achievement of an individual at the heart of their career who consistently delivers technical excellence in their chosen specialism.
Open to ABTT Members & non-members alike, nominations for both of these Awards are now open. Please send your nominations to email@example.com before 1st June 2020. Specifications & nomination details can be found below.
Both of these awards are scheduled to be announced on the 10th June 2020 which is when the original awards were due to take place at the Annual ABTT Theatre Show. This year due the pandemic, the announcements will be made online via social media and the ABTT News page. We currently plan to present the Awards in person at the ABTT Christmas Party at the end of the year!
The criteria for nominations for both of these awards can be found below:
ABTT Award for Emerging Excellence Specifications:
The recipient of the ABTT Award for Emerging Excellence will normally meet all the following criteria:
- They will be pursuing employment in one or more of the backstage, technical and/or production management crafts and disciplines.
- They will be predominantly working in the presentation of live performance in places of entertainment: i.e. on theatre, dance or opera productions in theatres and opera houses or on theatrical experiences in non-conventional spaces.
- They will have used their working experience to further their mastery of their chosen discipline(s) or craft(s).
- They will have consistently demonstrated excellence in the work they have undertaken.
ABTT Technician of the Year Award Specifications:
The recipient of the ABTT Technician of the Year Award will normally meet all the following criteria:
- They will have been pursuing full-employment in a backstage or production management career for a minimum of 10 years.
- They will have predominantly worked in the presentation of live performance in places of entertainment: i.e. on theatre, dance or opera productions in theatres and opera houses or on theatrical experiences in non-conventional spaces.
- They will have achieved a mastery of their chosen discipline(s) or craft(s).
- They will be an expert practitioner.
- They will have consistently delivered at a level of excellence throughout their career.
- They will have sought to promote best practice and technical excellence while delivering world class performance.
How to nominate:
Please send your nominations to the ABTT office at firstname.lastname@example.org Please include:
1. Your contact details,
2. The Nominees name and which Award you are nominating them for,
3. An explanation of who they are and why you wish to nominate this person
4. Supporting evidence such as 2-5 quotes from people who have worked or studied with this person and agree they should be nominated.