The Technician of the Year Award is one of the most important accolades the Association bestows, as it recognises the achievement of an individual at the heart of their career but who consistently delivers technical excellence. Details on the Award specification and how to nominate below.
Open to ABTT members and non-members alike, recipients have usually pursued full employment in a backstage or production management role for at least 10 years and have predominantly worked on the presentation of live performance in places of entertainment or on theatrical experiences in non-conventional spaces.
Their qualities will include not only a mastery of their chosen discipline but also recognition as an expert practitioner by their peers, having achieved and promoted best practice throughout their career: in doing so they will have made a significant contribution to technical excellence in the delivery of world class performance.
This award recognises an individual who is in mid-career and has worked with an industry leading level of technical excellence at all times. This Award is usually presented annually at the ABTT Theatre Show Awards in June.
The recipient of the ABTT Technician of the Year Award will normally meet all the following criteria:
1. They will have been pursuing full-employment in a backstage or production management career for a minimum of 10 years.
2. They will have predominantly worked in the presentation of live performance in places of entertainment: i.e. on theatre, dance or opera productions in theatres and opera houses or on theatrical experiences in non-conventional spaces.
3. They will have achieved a mastery of their chosen discipline(s) or craft(s).
4. They will be an expert practitioner.
5. They will have consistently delivered at a level of excellence throughout their career.
6. They will have sought to promote best practice and technical excellence while delivering world class performance.
Previous winners include:
Sorcha Steele (2021)
Sarah Hemsley-Cole (2020)
Martin Chisnall (2019)
Malcolm Glanville (2018)
Charlotte Lockyer (2017)
Steve Huttly (2016)
Gavin Pell (2015)
Peter Lambert (2014)
Ben Sandford (2013)
Andy Brown (2012)
Alex Hitchcock (2011)
David Draude (2010)
John Tapster (2009)
Simon Stone (2008)
Othman ‘Hoffman’ McGregor-Read (2007)
Antony Bridges (2006, awarded posthumously)
Stuart Crane (2005)
Fraser Hall (2004)
Andy Voller (2003)
Nick Ware (2002)
How to nominate:
Please send your nominations to the ABTT office at email@example.com Please include your contact details, the name and contact details of your nominee, why you think the nominee would merit the award and references to support your nomination.